You may have noticed this already, but a lot of people really don't like mayonnaise. If you're anything like Jimmy Fallon, who once explained during a segment on his late night show that it reminds him of pus (yuck), then mayo probably grosses you out to no end too. But disliking mayo isn't a rare thing. There are actual online threads, groups, and forums all related to their members' hatred of the condiment. Of course, there's a reason behind everything, and there are a few theories that can explain why mayo tends to gross people out.
According to the Huffington Post, Jimmy Fallon isn't the only mayo hater whose mind instantly turns to bodily fluids when thinking about the egg and oil mixture. William Ian Miller, a University of Michigan law professor and author of The Anatomy of Disgust, told the Post that many people find mayonnaise off-putting because it has the consistency of certain bodily fluids.
"Some things are more likely to generate disgust than others, and bodily fluids and rot are two of those things," he said.
It's not like the people who think this are wrong. Mayonnaise does look pretty disgusting but, to be fair, there are lots of delicious foods out there that also look a little questionable that don't get as much hate as mayo does. That likely explains another theory, which essentially states that hating mayonnaise is cultural phenomenon. Your response to being grossed out is a learned one.
So if you're a mayo hater, your reasoning for not liking the condiment may not only be because it simply looks gross, but because a lot of other people hate it as well.
Follow Delish on Instagram.
Download the Delish app.
- Which bird cannot live on a tree
- What does delta and gamma hedging mean
- Can American Airlines flights be preponed
- Are astronauts military officers
- Is Buffalo NY Republican or Democrat
- How are childrens board books printed manufactured
- Do lesbian women flirt at straight men
- Which of the sentences sounds better
- What are some exciting new iOS13 features
- Is there any travel agent WhatsApp group
- How do I find my Aadhaar number
- Could we ever recreate Damascus steel
- Why wont CR7 leave Messi alone
- Is Manchester United in a crisis
- Is yeast healthy to eat
- What do you think of Mika Brzezinski
- How do you go unnoticed
- Why do judges need to interpret statutes
- What is like to analyze a Philosophy
- How much does an NYC waitress make